Once we got to the Pediatric Surgery Center, he the 'belle of the ball'. While we were in the waiting room he tried to throw a ball with EVERYONE. One of the other daddy's was very impressed with his skills and they played together for quite a while. We go there at 11:45. They called us back about an hour later. That time they just did routine checks: pulse, listened to his heart and lungs, checked his weight. He was perfectly still and very good. The put his bracklet on his ankle and sent us back out to the waiting room until a room opened. Then about 20 minutes later we went back to the pre-op room. The nurse gave him a ball to play with and a gown to put on. His gown had elephants and clowns. I got pictures of him in the gown, but they are on my phone and I have no clue (or device) on how to get them off. A few minutes later the anesthesia nurse came in and gave him some tylenol and explained to me what was going to happen. He loved that, especially since he hadn't had anything to drink since 10 am. Then the anestiologist (sp?) came in and introduced himself. After that we sang songs until it was time. That was the easiest way to keep him still.
I got to put on my hat and gown and go back to the surgery room with him. Once we got back there I laid him on the table and they put the mask on him. He was quiet for a couple of seconds then started crying (I think it was the smell). Then he got real still and just stared straight ahead. The told me to give him a kiss, which I did. He was asleep when I pulled away. All of that was in less than one minute. Then I got to go to a conference room and wait while Dr. Novelly performed the surgery. He was out in about 10 minutes. He said, "You don't get an appreciation for how tight the tongue is until the child is still. Then you can tug on it. His was really tight." That made feel even better about the decision to have the surgery. He had to put on stitch in, he said it should dissolve in two or three days. Then it was off to the waiting room until he woke up.
I was in the waiting room long enough for Alan to go get me something to drink and take a few sips. Then they told me he was awake and took me to him. On the way back the nurse told me that he just sat straight up and looked around when he woke up. No crying or anything. By the time I got back there one of the nurses was holding him. She told me he had already stuck his tongue out. He was a little fussy, but not screaming in pain. I took him and sat down. They gave me the post-op info (when he could have more tylenol and how much, what he could eat, no rough play, etc). They gave him a sippy cup of apple juice which he was very happy to have. Then we got him dressed and went home.
He acted groggy for several hours. I finally got him to take a nap at about 4:30. He woke up about an hour later screaming, so I gave him more tylenol and popped in 'Its a Bug's Life'. He watched for about 45 minutes then fell asleep. When he woke up later he ate a jar of food and some yogurt melts. You never would have guessed anything had happened.
Before Surgery
5 comments:
I'm so glad to hear things went well. I do hope recovering is easy for Austin and that he's not to bothered by the whole thing. I also hope you and Keith are doing well. I'm sure it was a tough choice to make, but it sounds like it was a good decision.
Oh that's great Sheri. I was checking in to see if you had posted. Glad to know it went so well!! Children are amazing.
Glad to know it went well! He is such a precious child! Hope to see you all soon!
Glad to hear all went well. He's starting to look like you did when you were little! That curly blonde hair!
It is sooo good when things like that so smoothly. I am very glad it worked out good for him.
Post a Comment